Wednesday 31 March 2010

Some good news for a change.


I was reading through some Scottish news stories today. It's difficult to take in some of the appalling tragedies. I came across this story which lifted the mood.

A Hero mum spoke for the first time last night about how she saved the lives of three children and a fisherman in a sea rescue.

Dietician Jacqueline Walker, 39, who has just won a bravery award for her actions, told how all four were close to drowning when she plucked them from the icy water to safety.
She was on holiday with family at Hopeman Harbour, near Elgin, Moray, when she saw the group floundering in the 30ft deep water and struggling for breath.
A 12-year-old boy who had fallen 25 feet from the harbour wall and couldn't swim had prompted two of his pals, also aged 12, to jump in then a fisherman sitting on the harbour dived in fully clothed when he heard their cries for help.
Jacqueline, who is a triathlete, said she didn't think twice about diving in to save them and was embarrassed when her husband Drew nominated her for a Royal Humane Society Testimonial on Parchment.
She said: "I am delighted to be receiving this award and my husband and children are very proud of me.
"I didn't think it was that big a deal, I just acted on instinct and all the lifesaving training I had when I was a teenager just came flooding back to me.
"I had spent the day at the beach with my children and we all had wet suits on because we had been jumping off the harbour.
"It is fun but you have got to be careful because of the swell in the tide. I saw the children and the man in the water and they were really struggling.

"I got my friend to raise the alarm, tied a lifebuoy to my waist and dived in.

"They were about 150 feet away from the harbour and were being swept away by the tide. It was pretty choppy out there and the man was struggling to hold on to two of the boys, the other was swimming against the tide and they were all floating away and floundering.

"The key to lifesaving is making sure to raise the alarm before getting into the water and then making sure everyone stays calm.

"I front crawled out to them and told them to hold the lifebuoy and kick their feet like they were in the swimming pool and I pulled them back to the harbour."
By then the Coastguard and Sea King rescue helicopter had arrived on the scene to meet them as they swam to shore.

Last night the Royal Humane Society praised Jacqueline for her actions.

The society's secretary Dick Wilkinson said: "Mrs Walker played a key role in saving three lives."She showed tremendous courage and put herself at risk without hesitation. She thoroughly deserves this award."

No comments:

Post a Comment