Wednesday 21 May 2014

"Please Welcome"


"Please Welcome
The Inner City Dolphins
singing' - "Pete's song"

"We're The Inner City Dolphins
and we'd like to sing our song
if you know the words
feel free to sing along
it's quite a simple lyric
and quite a catchy tune
all about Pete our drummer's crazy afternoon"

And here it goes...

I awoke at twelve O'clock
by a knock on my door
it was my older brother
brought back from the War

I helped him through the hall
into the living room
and that was the beginning
of my crazy afternoon

I gave him a hug
an attempt to show I cared
but there was no response
he only blankly stared

I poured him a juice
and placed it in his hand
went through the photo album
but he didn't understand

Family and friends
dropped in to wish him well
leaving shocked to find a man
in such a personal hell

A welcome at the local pub
was arranged by his best mate
when it filled up with people
he began to masturbate

I threw my jacket over him
and wheeled him out the door
walking back I thought -
I can't take this anymore

I phoned the military hospital
and asked them what to do
they said -
"We're finished with him now
and it's up to you"

So I lifted him from his chair
laid him out on the bed
took his revolver
and shot him in the head

Then I phoned the police
and told them what I'd done
they surrounded the house
until I threw out the gun

Then they put me in a van
and took me to a jail
I'm only here today
because I'm out on bail

I loved my brother
and that is why I killed him
I would have shot myself
if that could have healed him

And the reason I wrote this song
is to tell you all that I was wrong

I didn't have the right to take his life away
it's a burden of regret I carry every day

They dumped my brother at my door
in their "Streamlining of Health"
but I was hardly even able
to care for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment