Saturday 6 November 2010

Maelstrom.

Dada.

When I was 20 I thought that 50
was a thousand years away
and now I'm 50 I think that 60 and 70
are tomorrow and the next day
and now I'm 50 (no matter what you say)
I know that 20 is a thousand years away

If I was 20 again
I would Get out Get out Get out
and you should do the same
Relatives are a wonderful childhood accompaniment
and in adulthood they are also good
but on a different continent

Don't become the Hobby horse
from your Father's carpentry box
ridden into the ground for the rest of your life

Don't become the wedding dress
from your Mother's pattern box
another Wedding another Bride another Mother

Don't become the chattel
of a Priest or a Mullah
When all they are teaching is
Be me Be me Be me
Grasp your God given right to
Be you Be you Be you

Break the mould
shatter it beyond repair
leave no ambiguous pieces of doubt
and Get out Get out Get out.

4 comments:

  1. This is a tremendous poem - especially the last 2 verses. Funny how it takes us a lifetime to learn it! Every Blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Freda,
    Hindsight is gifted to us by those in charge of our youth
    who lacked the gift of foresight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across this poem whilst searching for pictures of Maelstroms. I like this poem. Your line "another Wedding another Bride another Mother" evokes precisely what I've always found meaningless about life. Christiane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Christiane for your comment,
    I wrote (what was for me)quite a long reply
    but it disappeared when I posted it.
    I think what is important is being and becoming who you are, but who someone is could be to become another Mother, there is nothing wrong with that if that is what someone wants.

    ReplyDelete