Monday 21 June 2010

Midsummer Day.


Midsummer Day.

In a brightly printed cotton dress
styled for a Midsummer day
She sat beside me on the bank
of a meandering river Tay

The fragrance of wild flowers
infused the hazy breeze
From the bank across the river
bird song filled the trees

Wisps of delicate pollen
floated along on the air
Leaning back she ran her fingers
through her sun bleached hair

We looked up at the deep blue sky
as a little cloud covered the sun
Then we covered each other's eyes
and listened to the river run

We walked the path along the river
to where the Tay and Lyon meet
then sat and talked beneath a tree
shaded from the midday heat

We talked about the future
we talked about being together
and from the vista of our youth
our future seemed forever

I didn't know how beautiful she was
life and love were all brand new
I didn't know such precious moments
could only be precious few

The elements of nature
seldom by will or chance of play
In moments of alignment
converge to make a perfect day

I thought about her yesterday
while walking on the shore
I thought I'd give
whatever time was left
to live that day once more.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem about a beautiful time. Makes me think that we never lose those special moments. And writing a poem keeps them safe forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Freda, everyone needs some encouragement, even me.

    ReplyDelete