Friday 14 March 2014

"Let me tell you a story"

"There was a king who decided to settle his accounts with his servants. When he had started calling in his accounts, a man was brought to him who owed him millions of pounds. And when it was plain that he had no means of repaying the debt, his master gave orders for him to be sold as a slave, and his wife and children and all his possessions as well, and the money to be paid over. At this the servant fell on his knees before his master, ‘Oh, be patient with me!’ he cried, ‘and I will pay you back every penny!’ Then his master was moved with pity for him, set him free and cancelled his debt.

“But when this same servant had left his master’s presence, he found one of his fellow-servants who owed him a few pounds. He grabbed him and seized him by the throat, crying, ‘Pay up what you owe me!’ At this his fellow-servant fell down at his feet, and implored him, ‘Oh, be patient with me, and I will pay you back!’ But he refused and went out and had him put in prison until he should repay the debt.

When the other fellow-servants saw what had happened, they were saddened  and told their master the whole incident.

Then his master called him in."You wicked servant!’ he said. ‘Didn’t I cancel all that debt when you begged me to do so?  Should you not have learnt from me to  take pity on your fellow-servant as I your master, took pity on you?  And his master in anger handed him over to the Jailer till he should repay the whole debt. This is how my Heavenly Father will treat you unless you forgive from your heart.” Jesus.  Matthew 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment