Tuesday 31 August 2010

"Beep Beep"


"Beep Beep"

I hope I don't die stupidly
for no apparent reason at all
by deciding to prune a tree
or crossing the road for a ball

I hope it's not like Luney Tunes
or a Laurel and Hardy flick
falling like Wile E Coyote
or met by a falling brick

I hope I'm not a victim
of some botched act of crime
or cut down by an illness
too ignorant to bide it's time

A man should die in age
with his family around his bed
and they should weep and hug each other
when the Doctor says - "He's dead"

They should bear him up like Joseph
solemnly to his resting place
and remember him joyfully
in a new born baby's face

This doesn't always happen
it isn't always allowed
some are dragged to execution
through the midst of a baying crowd.

Ten ways to die:

1. Illness
2. Accident
3. Medical Incompetence
4. Act of Violence
5. Victim of War
6. State Judicial Execution
7. Suicide
8. Old Age Health Decline
9. Natural Disaster
10. Giving Your Life to Save Someone

2 comments:

  1. I rather like the idea Roger McGough had:
    Let me die a young mans death . . . .
    It is rather irreverent and tongue in cheek, but funny too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friko, this is amusing

    Survivor

    Everyday,
    I think about dying.
    About disease, starvation,
    violence, terrorism, war,
    the end of the world.
    It helps
    keep my mind off things.

    Roger McGough

    ReplyDelete